Green Linen Sundress and giveaway winner

Welcome back, me! I’ve had a totally unplanned break from both blogging (6 weeks!) and sewing, probably due to distraction and lack of motivation because of our big move. I’m happy to say now that we’re now residing in the beautiful Golden Bay, and as of today I’m back to full-time work (now as a GP registrar, hooray!). I haven’t quite got my sewing room set up but I have a couple of projects lined up that should hopefully ease me back into it!

I also have a few projects backed up from October/November that I haven’t blogged about, including todays dress. I already have photos taken of a few of them so I don’t even have that excuse for being so absent. I can admit though that while a few of the photos will have me with pink hair, I actually dyed it again about a month ago in an effort to become respectable again.

I also left a giveaway hanging in the air – which is pretty bad of me, so I apologise. The winner (thanks to a random number generator) of the Jutland PDF pattern is Shannon Church. I wasn’t able to find your email address so you’ll need to message me on tworandomwordsblog@gmail.com and I’ll send it through. If you have already bought the pattern (because I’ve been so slack), I’ll sort something out for you instead :)

Enough blathering, you want to see some sewing right? This is a dress I made maybe 2 months ago, when I realised how fast it was becoming summer, and how few summer-appropriate clothes I had.

Continue reading


Floral Lawn: Gertie’s Wrap Dress

I’ve had Gertie’s first book for about a year now, and while I’ve only made two patterns out of it (despite having big plans for the wiggle dress), I’ve got a lot out of it. I got the new book, Gertie Sews Vintage Casual several weeks after it was released, and here is my first version of the wrap dress:

Excuse my lack of smiles in these pictures – I was facing the sun and trying not to squint!

Continue reading


Time not waisted: McCalls 6696

I love shirtwaist dresses. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I love ‘em. Despite not making very many of them, when looking at fabric I’ll often judge it by thinking “how would this look as a shirtwaist dress?”. I have several fabrics in my stash that would, in fact, look great (if I had thought to buy enough yardage) – but I have only ever made two. Finally my ass was kicked into gear when Mary issued her “Autumn/Spring of 1000 Shirtdresses” challenge.

So may I present: my first McCalls 6696.

Yes, I am wearing high heeled jellies! Hello, 90′s

Continue reading


A strawberry dahlia

Has everyone seen the new pattern release by Colette Patterns yet? I admit, when I got the “sneak peek” yesterday, I thought about it for all of 30 seconds before I bought the PDF. Using the thin excuse of “I need to buy buttons for this other dress”, I drove to work to print out the pattern, then promptly cut, taped and traced off the pattern.

I was initially tossing up which version to make, when I spotted these two fabrics lying together in my stash, and inspiration struck: I present, my Strawberry Dahlia.

Continue reading


Chambray, you stay. Sashay, away.

My second Hawthorn dress is something I’m surprisingly UN-excited to blog about. Usually I make something and get photos the next day, blog within the week. In fact, this got finished… two months ago? Before I dyed my hair: I have photos in it with my brown hair as proof. On two separate occasions. But, I’m just not that thrilled with it, and so I may end up asking it to…

I thought I had the fit down pretty well with my first version, and used the exact same pieces, but something just doesn’t quite look right. In the bewbs.

Continue reading


BurdaStyle Plus Sized Cape: An Honest Review

So, if you follow the Curvy Sewing Collective, you may have seen that we were approached by BurdaStyle, to see if we wanted to try out a pattern each from their new Plus Sized Kits – a collection of patterns and a couple of tutorials bundled together for $25 USD. We got sent links to all the patterns in the collections and were able to choose one to make: brilliant as I am, I thought “Oh, I’ll step out of my comfort zone and choose the cape

At the start of spring. Right before we move to one of the sunniest places in the country for summer (good news – we’re moving to Golden Bay!!! Anyone want to come visit, let me know!). Like I said, brilliant.


Continue reading


Muse patterns: Jenna Cardi. I am in love!

Disclaimer: I was a tester for this pattern. The final pattern was provided to me free of charge and I also know the designer in real life. All opinions expressed are my own.

So, I’ve been wanting to learn how to knit for a while. I tried doing it last winter, kind of enjoyed it, then got side tracked. To be honest, I’m a really impatient person – I constantly have to remember to slow down, be patient etc. So with knitting, I wanted all these cute cropped cardigans sooo badly, but the thought of it taking 50 hours to make one, or even longer because I’m a beginner, was just really off-putting. I couldn’t find any good sewing patterns for what I wanted – I tried making my own but it didn’t work. So I resigned myself to actually learning to knit, or paying someone to knit for me.

And then… Kat from Modern Vintage Cupcakes designed this pattern. Probably because she was sick of all my whining on the WSBN facebook group, she asked me to test it out for her.

And this is it, guys: true love.

Oh, and I dyed my hair pink.

Continue reading